CURRENT EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES:
Title: Library Aide (Per Diem)
Supervisor: Librarian on Duty
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Circulation Desk: Staffing the circulation desk is your primary duty. This includes all circulation activities, such as checking books in and out, registering new patrons, answering reference questions, answering the phone, examining the physical condition of returned library materials, shelving returned materials, collecting fees for copies, fines, prints and faxes, and scanning/faxing documents as requested.
- Additional jobs: From time to time you may be requested to help with shelf reading, technology troubleshooting (public access computers), general office assistance, facilitating library programs, and other tasks as requested by the librarian on duty.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must be comfortable typing and feel confident in your general use of computers
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, and have at least introductory knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Proficient in using the internet to search for information
- Ability to interact courteously and effectively with the public and library staff
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of records, and safeguard the privacy of library patrons
- Ability to lift 40 pound boxes to a height of 3-4 feet to place them on book cart
- Willingness and ability to learn about evolving library materials, services, and technology
- Ability to work independently
Minimum Qualifications: Must be at least 18 years old, friendly, reliable and flexible. Must be able to learn basic library skills and follow directions. Prior library or teaching experience is preferred, but not required. Love of literature and the arts is also a definite plus. Any successful applicant must be willing to undergo a criminal background check before commencing work.
Salary: $9.50 – $10.50 per hour
Schedule: There is no set schedule for this position, as it is a per diem position.
Hours are awarded as available, and as needed to cover shifts to maintain adequate library coverage. Shifts which are most commonly available on a per diem basis are:
- Wednesday & Thursday: 5:00 PM – 8:00 PM
- Friday: 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Saturday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
- Sunday: 12:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Application Details: The position is open until filled. Please email cover letter and resume to Cara Marsh, director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.